Congratulations! You are embarking on an amazing nine month journey.
With all the excitement and joys that come with pregnancy, there are several physiological and hormonal changes that occur in preparation for creating the environment for the developing baby.
So what are your options? Well, the good news is we have safe and effective treatments to help your body through this wonderful journey.
Chiropractic care is an integral part of prenatal and postpartum care. It helps keep a pregnant mom feeling good and assists her in coping with the physical stresses of an ever-changing body. Active Living Chiropractic offers a variety of hands-on therapies and patient education that will help women adapt to these changes. Some of this education will include stretches and/or strengthening exercises that help to decrease abdominal pressure and support intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) and diastasis recti.
Pregnancy adaptations will include center of gravity and weight distribution changes, an increase in joint laxity and increased stress on the joints. Relaxin is a hormone released during pregnancy to allow the ligaments of the pelvis to relax in order to accommodate the growing baby and prepare for delivery. As a side effect, the joints of the spine and pelvis can become unstable and susceptible to misalignment from previously trivial forces i.e. – stepping off a curb. Other common mechanical and neurological symptoms that can occur during pregnancy include but not limited to; sacroiliac joint dysfunction and pain, pubic symphysis pain “lightning crotch”, low back pain, sciatica, pain at the coccyx (tailbone), round ligament pain, leg cramps, postural and joint dysfunction, headaches, nausea and carpal tunnel syndrome aggravated by the fluid retention seen during pregnancy.
The ICPA (International Chiropractic Paediatric Association) holds that the Webster Technique is a specific assessment and diversified adjustment for all weight bearing individuals and is utilized to enhance neuro-biomechanics in that individual. The goal of the adjustment is to reduce the effects of sacral subluxation/ SI joint dysfunction, in doing so, neuro-biomechanical function in the pelvis is facilitated.
See ICPA for further details: https://icpa4kids.com/
Chiropractic care can:
In the mother:
- Relieve back neck and joint pain
- Restore optimal pelvis and spinal alignment by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments
- Removes torsion of the ligaments that support the uterus
- Decreased muscle hypertonicity and tightness
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and co-ordinates all of her systems and functions, i.e controlling symptoms of nausea
To the infant:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nerve system allowing for better baby development
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth
It is becoming common knowledge that acupuncture can help with fertility and increase your chance of getting pregnant. But the journey does not stop there. Regular acupuncture visits during your pregnancy is one of the best things you can do for yourself and baby. Acupuncture is safe and can help with several conditions that may arise during pregnancy.
Acupuncture can help:
- Prevent miscarriage
- Manage nausea and vomiting
- Increase energy
- Help you sleep better
- Help reduce/manage stress and anxiety
- Relieve pain and discomfort such as headaches, back/hip pain, sciatica, and constipation
- Resolve a breech presentation
- Prepare your body for labour and help smooth the labour process
Prenatal Massage is a therapeutic form of massage catering to the unique and specific needs of a mother-to-be. With the incredible physiological changes that a woman's body goes through during pregnancy. women often experience increased musculoskeletal pain, stress, headaches/migraines, lack of sleep and anxiety. During the different stages of pregnancy, Prenatal Massage can help to decrease the discomfort of altered body mechanics and help increase relaxation to aid with sleep and stress.
Many people wonder how they can receive Massage Therapy during pregnancy; we will help you find the safest and most comfortable position, whether it be face-down, sidelying, seated, or semi-reclined using pillows designed especially for prenatal massage.