Chiropractic care is an integral part of prenatal and postpartum care. It assists her in coping with the physical stresses of an ever-changing body.
As women transition through their pregnancy, there is an increase in elasticity of connective tissues, which are the ligaments and muscles in your body. This is produced by a hormone called Relaxin and allows the ligaments of the pelvis to relax in order to accommodate the growing baby and the cervix to soften and widen in preparation for delivery. It creates more overall joint laxity and could increase stress on joints. As a side effect, the joints of the spine and pelvis can become unstable and susceptible to misalignment. Other common mechanical and neurological symptoms that can occur during pregnancy include but not limited to; sacroiliac joint dysfunction and pain, pubic symphysis pain “lightning crotch”, low back pain, sciatica, pain at the coccyx (tailbone), round ligament pain, leg cramps, postural and joint dysfunction, headaches, nausea and carpal tunnel syndrome aggravated by the fluid retention seen during pregnancy.
Chiropractic care can:
In the mother:
- Relieve back and neck joint pain
- Restore optimal pelvis and spinal alignment by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments
- Removes torsion of the ligaments that support the uterus
- Decreased muscle hypertonicity and tightness
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and co-ordinates all of her systems and functions, i.e., controlling symptoms of nausea
To the infant:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nerve system allowing for better baby development
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth
For more information or questions contact one of our chiropractic practitioners